Friday, January 9, 2009

Quick Quilt Comments

The Blog:
Once the holidays have passed, January settles in, often with doldrums. I like to think of coziness instead, of bundling inside a quilt with a good book, so January's theme is quilts. Can you think of a quilt with special meaning, one with colors or patterns you've loved, one made for you by someone important in your life, one that generates memories? As a child I remember loving the handmade quilts that appeared on our beds when the nights turned chilly. Each quilt had a story. For example, when my mom married, a friend of my grandma made the thick green and pink star quilt on my bed—green for my dad’s favorite color, pink for my mom’s. I also loved sitting on my mom’s bed before she made it in the morning to examine the materials and patterns in the worn fan quilt that hid under the bedspread after the covers had been straightened. On lucky days, Mom would point out which fabrics came from her childhood dresses.

I've only ventured once into piecing and quilting a full-sized quilt, a pattern of rocket blocks for one of my sons. Mom, bless her heart, took over most of the cutting and piecing when I realized, with toddlers and preschoolers, that I was in over my head. Mom, my grandma and I all quilted it together when they came out for a visit. I can still find and trace my grandma's stitches, over-large and frustruating to her due to failing eyesight. She is gone now, but the stitches--endearing in their size--remain.

The PHP (Personal History Prompt):
This is a new feature I'm starting to tie writing in with reading and language. I'm not sure yet if I'll change the prompt by week or by theme. Anyway, here's the prompt:

What are your quilt stories? Why not share one or two with your family--and then write them down! If you don't already have a file folder for your life stories, start one now.

The Etymology: Quilt
OF. coilte, cuilte (mod. couette), with var. coute :- L. culcita mattress, cushion. The fact that "quilt" entered English through Old French makes me wonder if the French introduced quilts to England...and if so, when? Or maybe mattresses and comforters used to be about the same thing, like the Latin term would seem to indicate. Does anyone know?
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O27-quilt.html


The Book: The Quiltmaker's Gift, by Jeff Brumbeau
"A New York Times bestseller and a Booksense Book ofthe year, The Quiltmaker’s Gift tell the story of a greedyking, who with the help of a generous quiltmaker, learns to find happiness by giving his possessions away." http://www.quiltmakersgift.com/

My kids and I have all loved the gentle, compelling story in this book and its pairing with rich illustrations. I think we'll pull it out again, wrap up in a quilt, and read!

The Links:
Try this link for applying the ideas in The Quiltmaker's Gift.
http://www.quiltmakersgift.com/stories/community_service.html

Here's a fun paper quilt block activity to try with kids:
http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=10489

2 comments:

Monique said...

Thanks for all the different ideas. I love to quilt but since I've started writing I've had little time for much else. I want to get my children involved though and it looks like you've set me on the right track. Thanks for the post.

Angela said...

I love quilts! I've often told my mom that i am sad my grandma's crocheted instead of quilting. My mom has one quilt she made, just a crazy patchwork one and she knows I've got my eye on it. Back in the day when I had so much time... I pieced and made several quilts, nothing fancy just patchwork. Two used the fabric from bridesmaid's dresses. (It's telling that each dress had several yards of floral fabric... can you say early 90's?) I also cut up all of our old t-shirts and made a quilt out of them. I'm glad now for my thrift and industry. I'm not sure where that thrift and industry went, but maybe one of my kids will have their eye on one of my quilts... :)